U.S. Apple Association’s “Apples for Education” Fundraising Campaign Gives $17,800 to School Causes Nationwide
U.S. Apple Association (USApple) begins the holiday giving season by donating $17,800 to 11 school causes nationwide as part of the second annual Apples for Education: Buy an Apple, Help a Student fundraising campaign.
Winning ideas include an in-school food bank providing healthy food for students to take home to their families; solar technology to efficiently process compost; and iPads to enhance student learning.
Launched Oct. 1 at the beginning of National Apple Month, the social media-based Apples for Education program reached more than eight million consumers online, calling for people to support their favorite school program through four simple steps:
- Snack: Grab an apple, apple product and/or partner brand Marzetti product
- Snap: Take a pic enjoying the snack
- Tag: Visit Apples4Ed.com to review the 17 nominated school causes, and tag the pic with #Apples4Ed and their favorite school’s hashtag
- Share: Vote by posting the photo to Twitter or Instagram
In six weeks, more than 6,500 votes were cast and with each vote, USApple and the apple industry pledged funds to the causes. Eleven schools earning the most votes will be awarded a grant from USApple to complete their project. The top five recipients are:
- St. Louis Park Middle School, St. Louis Park, MN | Providing an in-school food bank with healthy food for students in need to snack after class or prepare at home.
- Sherwood Forest Elementary School, Federal Way, WA | Providing access to apples and other healthy snacks for students and their families at school, first thing in the morning.
- St. Mary’s Catholic School, Alexandria, VA | Motivating young learners with technology-driven activities on new classroom iPads.
- Walter Biddle Saul High School, Philadelphia, PA | Reducing the school’s carbon footprint with solar powered composting equipment.
- Faith Elementary School, Faith, NC | Providing healthy fruits and vegetables for all students in every classroom.
“In addition to encouraging votes, we also leveraged Apples4Ed.com and our social channels as an opportunity to educate participants and all consumers about the health benefits of apples, through healthy recipes and research,” said Korenna Wilson, Director, Consumer Health and Public Relations, USApple. “That is why we love Apples for Education: we support healthy minds through funding, while also fostering healthy bodies by increased apple snacking – it’s a win-win and a nod to the timeless connection between education and the apple.”
“We are excited to see the schools put these funds to wonderful use in the weeks and months ahead,” Wilson concluded.
U.S. Apple Association is the national trade association representing all segments of the apple industry. Members include 40 state and regional associations representing the 7,500 apple growers throughout the country, as well as more than 400 individual firms involved in the apple business. More information on the organization is available at USApple.org.
About the Marzetti brand
Enjoy all this fall season has to offer with a slice of juicy apple dipped into our rich, thick caramel dip. From Old Fashioned Caramel Dip to Peanut Butter and Sweet & Salty Caramel— Marzetti® has several varieties of caramel dip to match whatever your palate desires. Plus, snack pack sizes offer the ultimate in individual convenience! Nothing says fall like Apples ‘n Marzetti Caramel Dip. Don’t forget to complement your fresh fall produce with Marzetti dressings, croutons, veggie dips, fruit dips and pie glazes. More information about Marzetti products is available here.
# # #