Cheddar Swiss Fondue
- Ingredients: 10
- Serves: 8
- Total Time: 15 min
- 1 large clove garlic
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Emmentaler, Gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Cheddar cheese (aged 2 years or less)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, if desired
- 4 apples cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) French bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cauliflower and broccoli florets, if desired
- Rub the inside of a fondue pot with the garlic. Heat until warm.
- Combine the Emmentaler and Cheddar cheese in a medium bowl. Toss with the cornstarch until well mixed.
- Heat the wine and cider in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When bubbles begin to form add cheese a handful at a time and stir until cheese melts using a figure eight motion or a whisk. Continue adding cheese slowly until it is all melted and mixture is smooth. Do not let mixture boil. Pour mixture in the fondue pot and keep warm. Sprinkle with the bacon.
- Serve fondue with apple chunks and French bread. Adjust the heat to keep the mixture smooth but do not let it boil.