Apple-Loaded Shortbread Cookies
By: Chef Dave Martin
- Ingredients: 6
- Total Time: 40 min
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
|Serving Per Container:|
|Amount Per Serving:|
Calories from Fat:
|% Daily Value|
- 1 lb unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups Empire apples,* skin on, small dice
- *Or similar variety
- In stand mixer, add butter and sugar. Blend with paddle attachment or electric beaters until mixture is light yellow.
- Add vanilla. Sift in flour and salt. Add small pieces of apple and continue blending, using hands, until incorporated.
- Remove dough, use a little flour (if needed), and work into a long roll (dough log). Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 45-60 minutes until butter sets.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove dough from fridge. Slice into ½ inch circles and place onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and cool. Cookies will harden as they cool.
- Top with Apple Cider & Mascarpone Frosting.
Tip: It’s important to chill dough to let butter set. Otherwise, cookies will turn out flat.
Top with Apple Cider & Mascarpone Frosting: http://usapple.org/recipe/apple-cider-nutmeg-mascarpone-frosting/
Chef Dave Martin, Chef Advisory Board Member
Chef Martin, a former Top Chef competitor and show “Fan Favorite,” developed recipes for USApple that not only cater to various life stages, but also to meals from morning to night.